Why do learners at The Nethersole Academy need to study Physical Education?
At Nethersole we believe that Physical Education (PE) is an essential part of a child’s education. It not only improves health, reduces stress and improves concentration, but also promotes correct physical growth and development. Exercise has a positive influence on academic achievement, emotional stability and interaction with others. Therefore, both teachers and children should be aware of its importance.
PE develops the children’s knowledge, skills and understanding, so that they can perform with increasing competence and confidence in a range of physical activities. We provide a broad and balanced programme of physical education we believe every child should have; with activities designed to be enjoyable, vigorous and purposeful. Through providing positive experiences, a lifelong interest in physical activity is encouraged, as well as promoting positive attitudes towards a healthy lifestyle.
The range of physical activities is wide and includes; athletics, dance, games, gymnastics, outdoor education and swimming. A high-quality programme is designed to satisfy the needs, abilities and interests of all individual children.
What are the aims for the Physical Education curriculum?
(i.e. what do we want learners to be able to know and do by the time they leave Nethersole?)
The main purpose of the PE curriculum is to develop the knowledge and understanding, skills, capabilities and attributes necessary for mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing now and in the future. The rationale behind this is that learning through health and wellbeing enables children to:
• Make informed decisions in order to improve their mental, emotional, social and physical wellbeing
• Experience challenge and enjoyment
• Experience positive aspects of healthy living and activity for themselves
• Apply their mental, emotional and social skills to pursue a healthy lifestyle
• Make a successful move to the next stage of education
• Establish a pattern of health and wellbeing which will be sustained into adult life, and which will help to promote the health and wellbeing of all children
• Perform at high levels in sport or prepare for careers within the health and leisure industries